Choosing the right Home Insurance in La Porte, TX

by | Dec 5, 2013 | Insurance

Recent Articles



Whether you are a first time homeowner or simply want to explore different options, when it comes to choosing the right Home Insurance in La Porte, TX you may find that the choices are overwhelming. There are some basic considerations to decide upon first, then you can expand into some optional or special coverage. Regardless of where you start, it is important to remember to first do your research before making any final decision upon your homeowner’s insurance policy and coverage.

The basic coverage you can expect with most homeowner insurance policies is the replacement cost coverage. There are two options here: guaranteed replacement cost coverage and straight replacement cost coverage. Straight replacement cost coverage is the basic of these two, as it pays to rebuild your dwelling but only up to the amount of the insurance policy. Guaranteed replacement coverage is more comprehensive, and possibly more expensive, because it pays to rebuild your home even if it exceeds the policy limit. Some types of properties, such as older homes, may be exempt from this type of coverage. Many insurance companies have implemented a cap to their replacement cost coverage at 120 percent of the face value of the policy.

Depending on the area in which you live, you may be required to take out additional special coverage on your home. For example, those that live in areas that are prone to earthquakes, such as California, may be required to take out earthquake insurance in addition to their basic coverage. Another example is for homes that are located in areas that are prone to flooding. If this is the case, your state may require you to have flood insurance on your policy. This is because flood damage is not included in a standard homeowner’s insurance policy.

An insurance agent will be familiar with the specific laws in your area and will be able to guide you in the right direction when deciding on what kind of homeowner’s insurance would be best for your situation.